Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Rear Axle - Jag Rear Overhaul - Part 2

A big part of the overhaul is getting everything chromed. This involves stripping the rusty old Jag rear as you have seen before....and break it down into its component parts. You can see everything here ready to go to chrome.

They are from left to right.....
  • 2 x Splined axles
  • 2 x Wishbone mounts
  • 2 x Axles
  • 2 x Tie Bars (1 front and 1 rear)
  • 1 x Bottom plate


  • 2 x Wishbones
  • 2 x Spacer tubes
  • 2 x Hubs
  • 2 x Axle flanges


  • Rod end (there are two of these)


  • Leading Arms (there are two of these)


I ended up not taking the front and rear tie bars (photo one) as I have a bit more work to do with these, so it was a collection of 19 parts in all. Surprising how quick they tally up.

I took these all off to the chrome platers with the intention of using my RPMS prize money. See my earlier blog about this "We have a Winner".

The rear end is the focal point of the whole car which you can see from this sample pic below. Its important that it looks spectacular.



Anyway, after a few weeks, I have now been back to the chrome platers and picked up some pretty flash looking man jewelry. Take a look at this.



The parts look fabulous I'm sure you'll agree. The closeup pic is of one of the two axle flanges that were on the right side of the second picture at the top of this blog if you want to see what it used to look like. Nothing short of spectacular!

Thanks again to Nelson at RPMS. The prize has helped my project along immensely! 

3 comments:

  1. Wow...the chrome came out great! Good thing I had my sunglass's on when I checked out those last two pictures. BTW, I'm sure your plating guy did a hydrogen embitterment relief process on the heat treated parts otherwise they're might be a problem with them later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah its okay none of those parts are hardened steel so shouldn't be a problem (he says hopefully).

    Yeah they do look good. In fact the photo's don't really do them justice!

    ReplyDelete