Total Pageviews

Friday, February 18, 2011

General - Pick-a-Part


I have mentioned Pick-a-Part a few times in previous Blogs and while the name kind of explains what its all about, I thought because most of you wouldn't ever go there, it might be worth posting a few pics so you can actually see what its all about.

Pick-a-Part has about 5 branches from memory and as luck would have it 3 of them are in Auckland. Just like a kid in a candy store!



The setup at Pick-a-Part is pretty basic but that's what I like about it really, there really are no frills. That said they also have a website which allows you to check what stock they have available in case you are looking for a particular car and you can also look up the part prices.

On the whole though they are pretty good to deal with and pretty cheap. Like everything they have changed a bit over the years.....it used to be free to go in, then $1 and now its $2. You are given a stamp though, so once you have paid your $2 you can go to any other branch on that same day and not have to pay again! Bargain!

You also have to sign an indemnity form to the effect that "I am going in at my own risk and Pick-a-Part won't be responsible if I get hurt". Then you put on one of their grubby Hi Viz vests and pick some parts.....oh and I almost forgot....you have to have shoes on (no jandals). Tony that was for your benefit.....it will save you having turn round and go home to get your shoes.


Once you are in there you can grab anything off any car. I tend to use the place not only as a source for parts but also a source for ideas. Sometimes you don't know what you want until you see it. I find its best to go along with an idea of what you want and then look at the different styles and options. The thing is car manufacturers have spend thousands on creating cars and the various components so there is no point me trying to reinvent the wheel when I can use something that has already been created.

It is also a good place to go when you are trying to work out how something goes together or like I have been.....trying to work out where some of the wires go on a Toyota Celica Aircon unit.

Anyway here are a few pics of the Mangere branch.




What you can see in this photo above is about 1/3rd of what is there, with a lot more around to the left behind the sign.

Right I better get going as I am planning another trip there this afternoon!










.

No comments:

Post a Comment