Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Aircon - Aircon & Heater

Well here is the Heater and Aircon unit out of a Celica. Lets take a look at what is involved and what I intend doing to it, to make it fit in a hot rod.


This is the fan and the unit that controls recirculating or fresh air.


This is the module that houses the Air Con Radiator.


This is the main control unit where the air is directed to face, demist, footwell or cominations of these. It also houses the heater core.


The control panel, will be used as it is. I just need to sort where and how to mount it in the car.


This is the complete unit before I peel open the wiring.


You can see here, I have now opened up all the wiring looms so I can track all the relevant wires and look at deleting the rest that is surplus to requirements.


This is the wiring diagram itself all pieced together.



This section explains how the system operates and what each of the motors, switches and relays does.


The picture below shows the sheet that identifies all the plugs used in the set up.


These aren't the correct diagrams for the unit I have but they give you an idea of what I am up against. It isn't as scary as it looks, you just have to be a bit methodical I guess. Once I get the right diagrams I should be able to crack into it.

What I have done so far is track the wires from the control panel and from the plugs and components that are obviously part of the aircon and heating unit. This should hopefully make it easier to trace everything and match it to the wiring diagrams when I get them.

Phil (the guy wiring the engine) reckons he has a pretty good library of diagrams for these Celica's so here's hoping.

Once I have the wiring sorted I will be tearing the units apart and rebuilding them into a more compact and prettier looking box that will go under the floor in amongst the chassis rails and K member.

I will use the Fan, Heater core and aircon core along with all the doors/flaps that control the airflow, but it will need to be miniaturised to get it mounted where I need to. Well that's the plan anyway. The best part though is I should end up with fully electric climate air con.

And what if it all turns to custard? Well it hasn't cost me anything yet thanks to Garry Pegler who has a few Celica wrecks that he kindly allowed me to raid, so if anything doesn't work another visit might be required. And as a last resort If I just can't make it work or make it fit.......I guess it can always go in the bin.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that will be a good invention if that will work because it will not only saves cash but also space in the house. Thanks for posting.

    Heating Indianapolis

    ReplyDelete