Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Engine - Serpentine Belt Pulleys

On the Toyota V8 some of them used an Hydraulic pump to drive a cooling fan for the radiator. These are a fairly ugly set up so I was keen to do away with that. Instead I will use an electric fan.

This change meant getting rid of the hydraulic pump and thankfully Phil had a replacement pulley set up that bolts in where the pump used to be. You can see the new unit, its the rusty looking drive flange and the aluminium housing behind it.


One problem is that this pulley off the original hydraulic pump.....


.....isn't going to fit over the drive flange. You can see below the diference in the centres.



The other issue is that the new item doesn't line up with the other pulleys. Its hard to tell in the photo but the pulley at the left of the pic below is the new unit, and it doesn't line up with the next pulley.


So what I need to do here is construct a spacer.

Firstly I drew it out on paper and then I had to talk nicely to Bill Dobbin who kindly spun this up on his lathe.  It looks fantastic. Thanks Bill.


I also had to put longer studs on the pulley as they now needed to go through the flange, the spacer and the pulley.  You can see here the longer studs are in place.


In this next picture the alloy spacer is fitted.


And here it is with the pulley fitted as well. Thankfully it all lines up nicely!


The next step is to relocate the alternator as it had to be removed to make way for the steering rack. You can see right in the middel of this next picture (the thing with the two small pipes coming out of it) the steering rack. This is where the alternator used to live.



Right above that is the power steering pump. The silver can at the top of the photo is the reservoir for the power steering fluid and the pulley beneath it drives the power steering pump.


I will remove the power steering pump.....
Now you see it......


Now you don't......


Gone just like that. That means I now have a space I can relocate the Alternator to.
It will mean a few modifications to get the alternator to fit in its new home but once done it should fit within the body confines and work just fine.

So now I have two jobs on my hands. The fitting of the alternator oh and what about the power steering???? I have a trick lined up for that so keep watching for future blogs where I will cover both of these.


2 comments:

  1. I don't know about you but finding solutions and making things like you're doing here is a lot of fun for me. It's kinda like a puzzle and you have to look forward enough that you don't get ahead of yourself which might put you farther behind. And then fabricating the pieces, bolting them up and having them work is very rewarding. Keep up the good work Colin, I’m looking forward to see your next update.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Kevin. You are so right about thinking ahead without getting too far ahead!

    ReplyDelete