Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Engine and Rear Axle

Well here we are a week later and already things have changed.

My intention was always going to be to install a Jag rear in this build. I've always liked these from back in the 70's when I first saw one all chromed and polished under a 38 Chev coupe. Unfortunately you can't narrow these rear ends and get them through the cert process, so you have to buy one that is the right width to start with. That means sourcing a rear from a 60's S-Type Jag or an E-Type Jag. Given these are now 50 year old cars and the fact that a lot of these rears have already been nabbed by rodders, they have now become quite rare and as a result bloody expensive. I was quoted $3000 by a Jag wrecker but they didn't have any and hadn't had one in stock for ages. They said even just a pair of axles can fetch $1000.

Because of this the plan was just to keep my eyes open and hopefully track one down in the next year or so.

That's where things have made a rapid change. I put a wanted add on TradeMe and in less than 24 hrs I had a guy in Wellington ring me with details of an S-Type Jag rear he was looking to sell. Expecting a phenomenal price tag I hesitantly asked what he was wanting for it. $250 was the reply. No surprises I said I'll take it while trying not to sound too keen. Anyway cash has changed hands now so its a done deal!

Here's what they look like straight out of a Jag.....


And here's what it will loook like once I've finished with it....


Since last week the engine has arrived in Wellington and Phil Bradshaw has taken a quick look at it. He reckons it is looking to be in good shape and is extremely clean, so lets hope it is as good as the visual inspection indicates when he finally gets it fired up.

I'm just about ready to make a decision about who I'll get to build the chassis, I just have Chris at Blackjack Engineering to see this weekend before making up my mind finally, so next post I should be able to let you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment